MOVE: Keeping everything running in the cloud—no matter whatSeptember 22, 2018
It’s the mission of IT to keep the business running, no matter what. Even when disaster strikes, whether that’s in the form of a large-scale IT failure or data loss, you need to have the right solution in place to recover, fast (and ideally without your users even noticing).
The Microsoft cloud can help with this. It offers a rich set of features around business continuity, backup, and restore. Specifically, Microsoft Azure solutions can help you:
- Ensure business continuity in case of an interruption
- Protect mission-critical applications
- Restore data when it’s corrupt or lost
- Take care of compliance requirements about keeping data
- Make disaster recovery plans and run drills
- Offer effective service level agreements for the above
How it works
Several Azure solutions work together to help you guard against IT failures. To start, Azure Site Recovery lets critical workloads replicate their running state to Azure. Which means they can also quickly fail over to an Azure-based infrastructure as needed. But while this creates data redundancy, it doesn’t protect against data corruption, accidental data deletion, or ransomware. So you also need other backups, like those provided by Azure Backup.
Here are your options for backup and restore in Azure:
- Azure Backup helps keep your data safe. It backs things up straight to Azure, which removes the need for physical backups like tape. And it supports everything from file and folder-based workloads to virtual machine backup, as well as workload-specific support such as Hyper-V, VMware, SharePoint, Active Directory, and a range of common Linux-based workloads.
- Azure Site Recover protects important applications by coordinating the replication and recovery of physical or virtual machines. And it lets you replicate data to many places, including to your own data center, a hosting service provider, or even Azure. All of which helps you avoid the expense and complexity of building your own secondary storage location.
- Azure StorSimple is a hybrid cloud storage solution that can lower costs by up to 60%. It’s a physical and virtual appliance that gives you hybrid tiered storage to automatically offload data to the cloud.
- Operations Management Suite gives you a way to bundle both Azure Backup and Azure Site Recovery.
Ready to back up your business to the cloud? We at Binary Tree are exclusively focused on helping enterprises around the world plan, move, and manage their way to the Microsoft cloud. To get started, get in touch.
Source: Microsoft. Cloud Migration and Modernization Playbook. 2018.