Key goals in Active Directory migrations (1 of 4)September 7, 2017
As we talked about in an earlier post, there are four key goals for a successful migration of Active Directory: accuracy, visibility, efficiency, and security. In this post, we do a deep dive on the first goal, accuracy. And we’ll follow up on the other three in the coming weeks.
Accuracy comes first
We start with accuracy because it’s what can make or break your migration—literally. If you don’t migrate correctly, logins will break. Users might not be able to access their computers, their applications, maybe even the printers and Wi-Fi. So they’ll be unhappy. They’ll be calling the help desk. And someone might be calling your boss.
Accuracy isn’t easy
The challenge with being accurate in Active Directory migrations is that they are quite complex. There are a lot of small details you have to tweak and get exactly right. If you try to do it manually, it’s all too easy to introduce human error. Same goes for when you use native or free tools that don’t give you enough flexibility to meet your business requirements. There’s a high risk of something going awry:
- Objects may fail to migrate
- SID history may fail to migrate
- Passwords could fail to sync
- ADPrep could encounter an LDAP error
- Incorrect DNS name resolution settings or old device drivers could cause errors
And these errors can cause rampant downtime and delays. A survey from Vision Solutions shows that 43% of these types of migrations tend to cause downtime, sometimes for 6 hours or more.
Automation drives accuracy
To be more accurate—and keep your users working smoothly—you need to remove opportunities for human error. You need to automate. With the right third-party tool, you can automate many key steps in the process. For example, you can use automation to:
- Generate a unified GAL
- Keep the GAL in sync as you migrate
- Discover workstations
- Update permissions
- Join all remote workstations
- Take custom actions on users and groups
Our solution to accurate migrations
With our Active Directory Pro, you can merge, consolidate, or restructure your Active Directory environment—all while keeping your users, devices, and applications in sync. It automates every step so that you don’t have to know the ins and outs of the process. And so that you don’t accidentally introduce error.
With Active Directory Pro, you can:
- Customize the migration to meet the requirements of even the most complex scenarios
- Automatically discover all workstations and update permissions
- Migrate during business hours, without disrupting your users
- Migrate remote users without asking them to come into the office
- Keep your data secure as you migrate
- Get real-time data about every step of your migration