by John Wethington
, Product Manager, Application Transformation Group
When it comes to Application Transformation, nothing gets me more excited than hearing a customer talk about their transition project and providing them with a holistic solution. Next week, Trent Overton
and I will be doing just that as we represent Binary Tree
at the Microsoft SharePoint Conference 2011
in Anaheim. We will be hosting live demonstrations and in-depth discussions of Binary Tree's Application Transformation Framework
is a solution that we have been evolving rapidly over the last 2 years. While the software components of ATF have been available separately for a much longer timeframe, after talking with many customers and integration partners, we saw a need to more closely tie them together and to align them to a comprehensive approach for moving applications to SharePoint.
ATF’s metamorphosis really started when we realized the current solutions in the market only addressed a small part of the process of moving applications from a legacy platform to SharePoint. While it’s true some offer some kind of generic discovery tool these tools are simplistic at best and do not provide a comprehensive approach to analysis or rationalization. In fact, most of the current SharePoint migration
software “solutions” only focus on migrating content, or worse, they force you to use costly 3rd party components that you will forever be dependent on in your new environment. And while they may do a good job at moving content, that is only one piece of the puzzle.
READ MORE >>
Customers and integrators were missing the help they needed to…
- Accurately and completely inspect all of the legacy applications
- Analyze and rationalize the applications so that they can make informed decisions on how to transform each one
- Redevelop applications with insight into the legacy design and code
- Retire applications and servers as their initiatives progressed to reduce the cost and load of the legacy platform
- Tie all of these processes together and be able to manage and control the transformations from initial planning all of the way through to the launch of the new SharePoint applications and the retirement of the legacy platform
So we developed ATF (the Application Transformation Framework). ATF is a comprehensive methodology and solution suite designed to address the true needs of our customers and our integration partners
The guiding methodology incorporated into ATF contains the “Seven R’s of Application Transformation” which signify the primary processes for holistically transforming legacy applications to SharePoint.